New Weird

This week’s reading reminded me of the fantasy genre especially when reading Kraken. The horror stories from previous readings felt like general horror stories. However, with a creature such as the Kraken making an appearance in this week’s reading, it felt very mythical and other worldly. This giant squid like creature reminded me a lot of Cthulhu which lead me over to Lovecraft’s work. I am familiar with some of his creations such as Cthulhu but haven’t read Supernatural Horror in Literature until now. A word that can be used to describe his writing would be grim. Going back to Kraken, I realized that the aspect of Horror was a lot more natural in this instance. Even though it is a giant squid like being, it does poses godlike powers. Reading about the Kraken was a neat and different take on Horror.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aye and Gomorrah

Neverwhere

Marry Shelly's Frankenstein